Digging Holes

Mostly pictures, but here’s how we took care of our broken sewer line. I stayed home from work on Thursday to watch the festivities. The excavators came by 7:45am and were done by 12:30pm.

IMG_20150205_073737 I put down a single 12’x15′ canvas tarp to catch the dirt and quickly realized it was severely undersized.

IMG_20150205_073754I was glad we had decent access to the digging spot and that this little backhoe could come up and do all the hard work.
IMG_20150205_073813 First dig!

IMG_20150205_074145

I couldn’t believe just how many roots existed about 1 inch below the surface of the lawn. Putting large trees next to a watered lawn means the tree roots don’t need to go very deep.

IMG_20150205_074218

Turns out there was an existing clean-out, but it was obscured below the lawn. We didn’t see it until we took the grass off. Oh well, we needed to replace it regardless.

IMG_20150205_075316 IMG_20150205_082855

I ended up putting three additional tarps on my lawn to help contain the dirt. Nine feet down creates a lot of dirt.

IMG_20150205_084411

The sewer line and water line (copper line to the left of the PVC) were at the same depth.

IMG_20150205_092458

Replacing the sewer line and clean-out were pretty simple jobs and done pretty quickly.

IMG_20150205_092526 IMG_20150205_092550 IMG_20150205_093843

While excavating and before knowing where the water main was, the backhoe teeth grabbed the copper pipe and stretched and kinked the line. We were lucky it didn’t pierce the line and make a muddy mess. They turned off the water, cut out the kinked section, and we were back in business.

IMG_20150205_103520

Compacting the backfill. They did this 5 or 6 times during the backfill process.

IMG_20150205_121236

Capping the clean-out.

IMG_20150205_125726

The lawn looked surprisingly good given what had just happened. The clean-out is visible and we’ll put some sod down this spring and I’ll be able to mow over the clean-out w/o hitting the blades.

IMG_20150205_125754I need to do some sprinkler repair work now. We broke two lines while digging the hole for the sewer line. I would have done that on Thursday but I didn’t have any 1″ PVC laying around, unfortunately, and I wasn’t in the mood to run to Home Depot to get supplies. Instead, I made it to work by 1:30pm.

Total cost: $1350 for excavation and sewer line repair, $65 for city permit, $88 to have the line snaked / cleaned out and the camera to confirm the existence of roots in the line, $35 for the canvas tarp (that ended up in the garbage when they were done). The sprinkler repair and sod will cost a bit more, but not for a few months.

Advertisements

One thought on “Digging Holes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s